Getting a massage is always a treat, whether you visit once a week or once a month. The therapeutic benefits of massages are vast, ranging from improved muscle mobility to relief from anxiety and tension headaches. But are there ways to make the most of these precious self-care sessions?
Read on as we share our best tips on how to take better care of yourself in between massage sessions.
5 Best Self-Care Practices for In Between Massages
Choosing to get regular massages is a huge act of self-love and self-care, but that self-care shouldn’t end when you walk out the door and dreamily rejoin reality.
- Take regular breaks throughout the day, ideally ten minutes for every hour of work. This break may involve standing up and stretching or going for a quick walk and getting some fresh air. Whatever you do, make sure you allow yourself a few minutes to do the opposite of whatever you do during the day. So if you spend your days sitting at a desk, get up and stretch those legs! Or if you’re on your feet a lot, sit or lie down and give your muscles a rest.
- Stay hydrated! While this is good advice in general, it’s particularly important to drink enough fluids before and after a massage. Having a massage relaxes muscular tension so the circulatory pathways are released and nitrogenous metabolic waste can dump into the system. Staying sufficiently hydrated gives your kidneys the water they need to get rid of this newly released waste.
- Try to incorporate stretching into your routine. If you always feel stiff and tense, a massage can do wonders, but it’s simply like putting a band-aid on a blister and continuing to wear shoes that rub if you don’t make a change. Try to incorporate some stretching into your routine a few times a week (or daily, if you can) to help you stay a little more flexible. This can be 5 minutes at the end of the workday, 10 minutes in bed before you go to sleep, or dedicated yoga practice – whatever fits into your schedule.
- Get enough fresh air. Spending at least 30 minutes outdoors every day can help clear your mind, ground you, and relieve stress. Plus, you’ll be getting a much-needed dose of vitamin D, which always feels good! Try to go for a walk and if that’s not possible, open a window and let air circulate through your home or office.
- Sleep enough. This is often easier said than done, and it’s not always a simple task to soothe the anxious mind, but prioritizing sleep is always a good idea. Establish a consistent sleep routine, wind down around the same time each evening, reduce screen time a few hours before bed, and avoid caffeine and sugar. Not only is getting enough sleep vital for productivity and concentration, but it also plays a huge role in mental health. So if you want to take care of yourself in between massages, a simple sleep routine will work wonders!
At A Valley of Vitality, we take great pride in providing our clients with a fantastic service and strive to target problem areas, whatever they may be. If you’re in the Prescott, Arizona area, we’d love to help you feel a better sense of overall wellness. Click here to book your appointment today.